Search the community

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Kathrine
    Participant

What happens if I have too much work and no-one to delegate to? In Day 36 I made a list of all the different tasks under the categories you suggested and the only way to shorten my very long “Do” list is to delegate, but to who? I don’t have any direct reports to shift the work to.

Margien Matthews
    Keymaster

That's tough! However you've passed the first hurdle - you made that list which proves that you are capable of letting things go and that you don't feel the need to hold onto all tasks. Here are some ideas for indirect delegation:
    - Use technology. Is there anything that you can get an app or other electronic tool to do for you? Yes, it takes time to set it up but you can win back hours of time
    - Create growth for some-one else. Is there anyone who would view your overflow work as an opportunity to build their skillset? If so, teach them and give them a chance to practice.
    - Look for spare capacity. You may have a colleague who's job is not overly demanding and who has spare time. Find out if you can delegate some work to them and ensure that they get the recognition they deserve for taking this on.
    - Do a swop. In other words find some-one who is willing and able to help you, and in turn offer to help them when they need assistance and you are less stretched
    - Outsource. Find and pay for external assistance in order to give you more time to focus on the mission-critical stuff. Some sites to explore for freelancers are Upwork.com, Fiverr.com, Freelancer.com.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.