Search the community

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Brigitta Matthews
    Participant

I started a new job a month ago but I’m not sure it’s for me. I’m not learning as much as I thought I would and the environment is not very friendly. Help! Now what? I don’t want to be seen as a job-hopper but neither do I want to invest my time in a position that I’m not enjoying.

Hi Brigitta, I’m sorry to hear that your new job is not giving you the rewards you wanted. It seems to me that you have the following choices:

1. Give it a chance. Perhaps you need to revisit why you chose this position in the first place and examine the advantages of staying in the job a bit longer (things like gaining experience, working through adversity, building a track record all come into play here) in order to benefit from those gains.
    2. Express your concerns. In this scenario you identify what your reservations are about the position and what would need to change for you to feel more fulfilled in the position. Then request a meeting with your manager to discuss how you’re feeling and what you think the possible solutions could be.
    3. Start looking for another position. Under this option I would encourage you to examine why you took the job in the first place and what your decision-making process was. If you made a mistake, then it’s important to understand how the mistake got made so that you don’t replicate the same process (and end up in another job that you don’t like). Did you do sufficient homework about the company and the position before you took the job? Did you clearly spell out your expectations before starting? It’s worth spending time examining those and other issues.
    4. Leave the job without lining up a new job. This would be the worst choice as you’ll have a lot of explaining to do to prospective employers. It’s always far better to leave a job once you’ve secured a new job.

Without knowing more about the situation I’d suggest you follow the sequence above i.e option 1) which would then be followed by option 2). I wish you all the best in thinking about your choices and please know that we are here to support you every step of the way!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.