Search the community

Home Forums Dig Deep Same problem, different context

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Margien Matthews
    Keymaster

A member shared with me yesterday that she's gained good insight on her strengths and development areas via her DISC profile. She's applying her insights in the workplace with good results. She's actively analysing what she thinks the communication preferences of her co-workers are, and is modifying her own communication style to get her message across.

"My husband and I argue a lot", she told me, "so I thought I'd apply the same insights to him. I realised that we're very different people in how we communicate. I showed him some of my BSE learnings and we had a great discussion about we approach things dissimilarly. We also got insight into why we argue and how we can communicate differently, taking each other's needs into account. If this works, I think you may just have saved my marriage!".

Full credit to our member for two aspects: being willing to try different approaches in order to get different results, and also for seeing these skills as universal - because they're not just meant for the workplace. We can use these insights in all parts of our life and in many different contexts. The more we experiment with different approaches, the more we learn. And the more effective we become.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.