Search the community

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Teresa Fryer
    Participant

I definitely have improvement areas that I need to work on but I really struggled to list anything for 'areas not worth working on'. Nothing seems to come to mind; is this possible or am I not thinking deep enough?

Margien Matthews
    Keymaster

Hi Teresa, many thanks for a very interesting question!
    Do you perhaps incline towards being a perfectionist? Because when we are perfectionists we tend to want to improve everything and set very high standards for ourselves. If that's the case, I'd encourage you to go easy on yourself - and this is an ideal activity to start to "let go" of some stuff.
    Another way to look at this issue is to think what skillset you need for the job you're aiming for - and then think what areas are not worth working on in relation to your future goals.
    But don't be too hard on yourself. If nothing springs to mind, just let it go! But at the same time make sure that you haven't set too many development areas for yourself!

Teresa Fryer
    Participant

I think you've hit it on the nail. Perfectionism can be a barrier at times so I will revisit this exercise and hopefully be able to assess where I can (or should) actually let go - thank you.

Margien Matthews
    Keymaster

So glad I could help! I'm challenging you to find at least two areas that are not worth working on!

Conny Hilser
    Participant

Good to read that somebody struggles with this task, too.

I wanted to ask about the same topic, finding areas that are not worth working on, is really hard for me.
    Right now, I would say that I already do not work on areas that don‘t bring any benefit for me.

But Margiens point of view gave me a good new perspective, I think I tend to try being good at everything.

Margien Matthews
    Keymaster

Hi Conny! That's an interesting perspective! So I guess a question you may be asking yourself is "Do I really need to be good at this? What benefit does it bring me to be good at this?". Sometimes being good at something can also be a trap - for example my husband is shocking at admin and I'm good at it so I tend to do it for him, but do find myself wondering how smart this really is 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.