A member's job is coming to an end and she's been a reasonable job offer with an interesting company (company A). The problem is she's in the running for two other positions with a much larger company (company B) which will give her more exposure. However the process is very slow and she needs to make a decision on the first job offer shortly. Time is running out! Here are the things to consider if you find yourself in this situation:
a) If you can't delay things, there's nothing wrong with making contact with Company B and explaining to them that you've been made another offer. Your first preference is to join Company B but you need to make a decision within 24 / 48 hours. Is Company B able to give you any information about the timing of their decision-making process to assist you with yours? The result of this discussion will be one of two: either they'll tell you that they can't speed up their process - in which case assume that your likelihood of getting the job is no more or less than the other candidates; or else if they're very keen on you they'll try to speed things up which gives you a clear message that you're likely to get a job offer from them.
b) If financially you are able to ride out a period of unemployment, you have more leeway to wait for an offer from a preferred employer. However do bear in mind that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!